Photography has been a major part of John Dunlap's life, starting
with his earning a B.A. in Journalism from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. His work has appeared in magazines
and newspapers and been documented on television. The joy of doing hand-manipulated Polaroids, sepia, black & white
and color images with the goal of creating artistic images is ongoing. Having art gallery shows and the generous media coverage
that has accompanied them, makes it all the better.
As you'll see on this site, there are various kinds of photos
and subject matters to enjoy. The themes Dunlap works in are many -- like one of his photo heroes, Edward Weston, he doesn't like
the idea of being pigeon-holed into doing only one genre.
So you'll have a chance to enjoy Dunlap's Polaroid art,
as well as digital and film photos of themes like nature, architecture, the ocean, sports, travel, flora and fauna, seasons
and female nudes. Regarding the latter, it is important to let you know that Dunlap's nudes are based on classic art
images of the female form. As a society, Americans could learn some lessons from our European brethren regarding an appreciation
of the human form for its art value.
On this site you'll also see a complete listing of the the art gallery shows
that Dunlap has had over the years as well as ones either currently going on or getting ready to happen. In the last year-and-a-half
Dunlap has had four one-man shows and feature stories in The Charlotte Observer, Independent Tribune
and Cabarrus Monthly magazine, among others. Dunlap has had his art profiled by CBS Sunday Morning, The Philadelphia
Inquirer, USA Today, Washington Times, Wilmington (DE) News Journal and many others.
If you are an art gallery/museum professional, please enjoy your tour of Dunlap's photos and they will hopefully serve
to inspire you to want to do a show. Dunlap's Polaroid art is very much influenced by French Impressionism, so perhaps you
may want a current-day tie-in to that form of art.
Regardless of who you are, remember to always support the arts
in your community.
Just a reminder...all
of John Dunlap's photos
are copyrighted and protected
law from illegal use.
View them and enjoy them,
don't use any of them
without his permission.
The photos on this first
represent a few of many.
Go to the individual
categories listed above
to see more of each
ART GALLERY SHOWS
is a listing of John Dunlap's one-man art gallery shows since 2000 (with most recent first):
(16) Ellie's Restaurant, Concord, North Carolina (April 2013 -- present)
(15) Adam Ramsey Miller Gallery -- Concord, North Carolina (July -- August 2010)
(14) ART Charlotte -- Charlotte, North Carolina (March - May 2010)
Gaston County Arts Council -- Gastonia, North Carolina (November 2009 -- January 2010)
Union County Arts Council -- Monroe, North Carolina (August -- October, 2009)
(11) Salon 32 -- Concord, North Carolina (June - September, 2007)
Senses at Play Gallery -- Key West Florida (November, 2006 - February 2007)
(9) Delaware Agricultural Museum -- Dover, Delaware (August - October 2003)
(8) The Moonbeam Gallery
-- Fenwick Island, Delaware (November 2002 - January 2003)
(7) The Raubacher Gallery -- Dover, Delaware (May - June
(6) The Edward Carter Gallery -- Lewes, Delaware (May 2002)
(5) The Globe Gallery -- Berlin, Maryland (November
2001 - February 2002)
(4) The Gallery of Aloysius, Butler & Clark -- Wilmington, Delaware (July - October 2001)
(3) The Kevin Kopil Gallery -- Lambertville, New Jersey (November 2000 - February 2001)
(2) The Dover Art League --
Dover, Delaware (August - October 2000)
(1) The Sansar Gallery -- Washington, DC (November 1999 - February 2000)